The Directorate for Regional Affairs (DIREG)...
You are here
Secretary of Foreign Affairs
La Secretariat for Foreign Affairs contributes to the design of the strategies and actions of our foreign policy that promote Argentina’s integration into the world through the search for consensus aimed at:
- Strengthening multilateralism and international law,
- Promoting the values associated with international peace, the democratic form of government and respect for human rights
- Promoting the democratization of the decision-making system in international organizations.
The work of the Secretariat for Foreign Affairs is based on the following strategic goals:
- Maintaining the sovereignty claim over the Malvinas, South Georgias and South Sandwich Islands and the surrounding maritime areas.
- Deepening political integration with the countries of Latin America and the Caribbeanthrough the institutional strengthening of MERCOSUR, UNASUR and CELAC.
- Expanding relations with Asia and Africa,, recognizing their economic dynamism and demographic weight.
- As a non-permanent member of the Security Council during the 2013-14 period, promoting the values of democracy, peace, human rights and the principle of non-intervention.
- Actively participating as a member of the Human Rights Council during the 2013-2015 period, in accordance with Argentina’s strong position in defence of human rights.
- Coordinating Argentina’s participation in forums and international and regional organizations in matters relating to human rights, environmental, nuclear, space and disarmament matters.
- Protecting Argentine citizens abroad and seeking migratory regularization of those who are in an irregular situation, so as to allow their insertion into the employment, economic, social and educational sectors of their places of residence.